The following is an AJ Espenesa NFL Draft Profile highlighting everything that you need to know about the Iowa pass rusher. Listed below is his scouting report highlighting positives and concerns while looking at his NFL player comparison, projection while providing game clips and any other articles and information about him.
AJ Espenesa NFL Draft Profile
Height: 6’6” Weight: 280 School: Iowa
- Plays with exceptional power. Moves offensive linemen around with ease.
- Strong anchor, holds up well against double teams.
- Is heavy handed. Wins with initial jolt and keeps defenders on the run with this power.
- Has a variety of pass rush moves and uses them well. Strong bull rush, counter game and swims/rips.
- Nice first step and initial burst.
- Athleticism is above average but leaves some to be desired.
- Not the most fluid. A bit rigid and tight when turning the corner.
- Not going to able to play in space.
After a strong sophomore season AJ Espenesa entered the 2019 season as one of the nations top pass rusher and during his junior season he solidified his place as not only one of the top pass rushers in the class but as one of the best overall prospects in the entire draft. His strength and power at the position is unmatched and is the key to his game. Few offensive linemen are able to hold up against Epsenesa’s relentless motor and variety of pass rush moves. His athleticism is solid but he wont wow you with his bend of change of direction skills.
Espenesa’s skill set is pretty unique for a top end pass rush prospect. He wont blow anyone away athletically but he has the chance to be an absolute force thanks to his physicality and strength. He projects best as a down pass rusher in a 4-3 system who can be moved inside during obvious pass plays. Espenesa’s skill set and production have made him a sure fire first round pick.
NFL Comparison: Trey Flowers