The following is a Tristian Wirfs NFL Draft Profile highlighting everything that you need to know about the Iowa right tackle. Listed below is his scouting report highlighting positives and concerns while looking at his NFL player comparison, projection while providing game clips and any other articles and information about him.
Tristian Wirfs NFL Draft Profile
Height: 6’5 Weight: 320lbs School: Iowa
This offensive tackle class looks special, with three or four guys projected as legitimate top ten picks. One of those guys that make this tackle class so good and so deep is Iowa big man Tristan Wirfs. He has been on most scouts radar for a long time and is considered a freak athlete for the position. On the field here’s what I see.
- Moves extremely well laterally. So fluid in his kick slide when protecting the edge.
- Moves well in space. Can get out on pulls and screeds.
- Powerful base. Not a guy you can easily run through.
- Powerful. Can generate push at the point of attack.
- Able to play left or right tackle.
- Has trouble finding work at times. Too often looking around for someone to block to no avail.
- Could be more consistent rolling his tips to maximize power as a run blocker.
- Will bend at the waist sometimes.
- Inconsistent with his punch; allowing pass rushers into his chest too often.
Wirfs is a great athlete for the position and you can see that on tape. He moves very well, particularly as a pass blocker. I don’t think he plays to his physical gifts as a run blocker because he needs to polish his technique, but if he cleans that up the he can be a fantastic NFL player.
Wirfs will likely be a top 15 pick, if not top ten. While some people think his future should be at guard, I think he has all the makings of a very good tackle. His ability to move and mirror, which is his greatest strength, should not be wasted on the interior offensive line.
Player Comparison: Andre Dillard